Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Faster Than A Speeding Ezra

.
A million spins on "We Need To Talk About The Flash" just got typed on keyboards and I refuse, I refuse! (As if my pick's much better, ugh.) Anyway Ezra Miller, best known for playing the psycho son in We Need To Talk About Kevin and the gay best friend in Perks of Being a Wallflower, just got cast as the leading light-foot in WB's planned movie version of The Flash. (Weirdly this is totally separate from the TV show, which just began airing on The CW.)

While I don't want to reduce Ezra, a very good actor, to just his sexuality, it should be noted that he is openly gay. Well "queer" was the word he used but I'm not writing a paper for my Human Sexuality class, I don't have the patience for mixing semantics and superheroes as I bop out a breezy blog post. Simple point being, this is some pretty big deal, you guys. Makes certain people skipping around in their glass closets look kinda silly, you might even say.
.

4 comments:

Bill Carter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill Carter said...

Fantastic news! But the film won't be released until 2018?

Anyhow, here's EM, back in 2012:

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/15/entertainment/la-et-mn-ca-ezra-miller-perks-being-wallflower-20120916

The actor, who will begin shooting an adaptation of "Madame Bovary" opposite Mia Wasikowska in November, is also worried that his openness about his sexuality may affect his ability to secure a variety of roles.

"I'm hoping to avoid labels; they're sticky. And I can certainly still shoot a gun probably better than a bunch of the straight actors around," he said, toying with his unopened pack of cigarettes. "I wouldn't want to lose out on my macho action movie just because I told people I was queer. That would be a damn shame."

He was superb in "Wallflower".

Moloch said...

A gay man...in a Zack Snyder movie?! Really?

What with gays being the cause of the zombie apocalypse or the main villain in 300 being the transsexual leader of a nation of deformed perverts or the main villain in Watchmen retroactively being turned into a homosexual pedophile I just always assumed Snyder was a bible-thumbing republican bigot.

But then again perhaps the casting was forced on him by the higher-ups.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he's cast in a big role like Flash, he's a great actor and deserves to be known. But i don't understand why they choose to do a movie about this here when a new tv show just begun. I mean they already have almost everything ready like the actors and the fanbase but no, let's spend more money in a new movie instead! I definitely don't get why DC is doing beside trying miserably to do like Marvel.