Wednesday, April 23, 2014

I Am Link

.
--- Big Ambition - Part of my feels like this was a rumor I'd heard already but my brain, man, it's got too much of this shit inside it to keep track of all of it anymore - anyway Jessica Chastain is very nearly signed on to play Marilyn Monroe in Blonde, an adaptation of Joyce Carol Oates' book by the same name by Andrew Dominik, the director of The Assassination of Jesse James Et Cetera. Has anyone read the book? I like Marilyn just fine but I'm not really obsessed with her legend enough to go reading books about her.
 
--- Drag Her To Where - A couple of months ago I asked this same question on Twitter, but Pajiba actually seems to have gathered up some actual information with regards to What The Heck Happened To Alison Lohman, who hasn't made a movie since around the time that she was so terrific way back in 2009 in Sam Raimi's Drag Me To Hell

--- Canadian Idol - If you want to know what David Cronenberg's upcoming first novel is about, go read the synopsis here. I'm not bothering since I will read it no matter what, and prefer to be unsoiled. There's also a NSFW book trailer to watch. The book is called Consumed and it's out in September. Oh and as long as we're talking DC, The Playlist has been posting tons of new pictures from his upcoming movie Maps to the Stars which I haven't linked to yet.
.
--- Space Mountin' - I have been waiting for so long for Doug Liman to make something as good as Go was, I should probably quit that impossible expectation and be happy with entertaining junk like Mr and Mrs Smith, I guess. Now he's in talks to adapt an upcoming kid's book (it's not even out until Fall 2015) called Railhead about futuristic space railroads and kid thieves. The word "steampunk" is tossed around willy-nilly, cuz that's not dated already.

--- The Virgin Claire  - Speaking of Go though, here's a really wonderful piece looking back at Katie Holmes' performance in the film, which is often overlooked since it's not terribly showy. I agree with all of this. There was a little window there where she was doing interesting stuff (Ice Storm and Wonder Boys holla).

--- Fever Chills - I'm trying to think of a popular American horror movie that's gotten remade with as quick a turnaround as we're seeing with this here news that Eli Roth's 2002 film Cabin Fever (which really is more a 2003 movie) is being eyed for a remake now. Foreign movies have been remade in English with much quicker speed than that of course, but can you think of any straight-up US-to-US ones like this? In summation, everyone in Hollywood should lose their jobs, the end.

--- Intergalactical Upsets - Also on the remake block is Flash Gordon, which I just really don't know how you remake that without Queen's soundtrack. I suppose they'll argue it's not a remake, that they're making a new version of the comics blah blah blah. No Queen? No go! (Also Sam Jones was pretty pleasant to look at, while we're on the subject.)

--- After Hood - I feel bad that director Catherine Hardwicke is referred to as "Twilight director" in this article - can't they give her "Thirteen director"? Well at least they're not giving her "Red Riding Hood director," I guess." Anyway Hardwicke is making a movie next called Miss You Already which is about a pair of lifelong best friends whose friendship is tested when one gets pregnant and the other gets sick. Those friends will be played by Rachel Weisz and Toni Collette, whizz bang bingo we have a winner.
.
--- And finally, I haven't even seen the first of these movies (Steve Coogan's fine and all but let's not go nuts, people), but he's got a sequel to The Trip coming called The Trip to Italy, and I totally watched the just-released trailer just to see some of the locations he shot in, to see if he was anywhere near where I just got back from. I recognized places! It seems like he spent a lot of time in the Naples area, actually.
.

.

4 comments:

Derreck said...

Blonde is a decent book in that you really get a feel of Marilyn but it is a bit too long.

Rob K. said...

Most anything by Joyce Carol Oates is worth reading and Blonde is def. worth reading. But it is. Long. Very long. Unless you are a JCO fan or a Monroe fan you probably won't want to make the time.

Anonymous said...

Did you ever see Flesh Gordon? It was released in mainstream theaters even though it was rated X and would now be NC-17

Anonymous said...

Katie was pretty daring for awhile... Remember The Gift? No girl on The CW now would've done that.