Friday, March 14, 2014

I Am Link

.
--- Well Shook - The world does not get to see nearly enough of Carla Gugino so this is most excellent news - she's landed the leading lady role in Dwayne Johnson's upcoming big-big-budget 3D earthquake movie called San Andreas - as I said yesterday when I wrote up a couple of brief thoughts on Pompeii it is really kind of impossible for you to make a disaster movie that I won't watch and have some level of affection for, so I'm totally down with all of this.

--- Ladies Who Lunch - Yesterday we got our first look at Cate Blanchett in The Number One Most Anticipated Movie By Everyone On Planet Earth called Carol from director Todd Haynes, and today (again thanks to Saint Murtada) we've got our first glimpses of both Rooney Mara and Sarah Paulson on the set. Looking good!

--- Agent Cooper - Marvel's top banana Kevin Feige has been giving off all sorts of news this week and Slash did a good job rounding it up, but the most interesting tidbit to me is the news that they've already made the television pilot for Agent Peggy, the Captain America spin-off about Hayley Atwell's character from the first film, they're just waiting for ABC to decide whether to make it or not... yadda yadda... Howard Stark, aka Dominic Cooper, would be a recurring character. Suddenly I am invested in this happening!!!

--- Lotte Love - Over at the Film Experience Tim did a wonderful post for Women's History Month on the shamefully forgotten female animator Lotte Reniger, whose 1926 silent The Adventures of Prince Achmed (pre-dating Snow White as the first full-length animated film by eleven years) is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. And Tim linked to a documentary on Lotte over there that I've never seen that's bound to be invaluable.

--- I'm A Creep - I stopped reading this review at about the half-point because I didn't want to know anymore, and I probably should've stopped before then, but Mark Duplass' new horror movie called Creep which just played at SXSW actually sounds terrific, and I'm very very much looking forward to it now. It's a found-footage thing about a strange fellow, played by Duplass, who hires somebody to follow him around with a camera for a day. Shockingly, it turns out badly. I love Mark, I hope this is great.

--- Break Free - I really really wish that the remaining dudes from the band Queen would stop messing with the people trying to get a Freddie Mercury movie made - their insistence on sanitizing it (supposedly they're adamant about it not being rated-R, which is just insane) has now driven the director to quit. I hope that Ben Whishaw stay on-board, I think he's a great choice for Freddie.

--- And finally I wasn't totally sold by the upcoming horror film Proxy when I saw it way back in November but there are some very interesting things going on in it all the same; you can't fault the film-makers for over-ambition. I'll definitely be curious with what they make next. Anyway Proxy is getting a small release here in NYC and also on VOD next month andwe have a trailer now, watch it:
.
.

2 comments:

will h said...

Not to be confused with the time(s) I followed Mark Duplass around with a camera all day.

Dale M. said...

I loved Proxy! It has its flaws, but it is unlike anything else I've seen in awhile.