Monday, February 17, 2014

Good Morning, World

.
It's pretty shameful that I'm so poorly schooled in the films of one of cinema's handsomest closet cases who was simultaneously the owner of one of cinema's most magnificent beards - that's a two-fer that one would think would've spurred me on earlier. Forgive me, Alan Bates, I must make it up to you. Today would've been Mr. Bates' 80th birthday if he hadn't passed in 2003. I've seen the most important moment in his filmography, natch - his naked wrestling scene with Oliver Reed in Women in Love is transformative business.

And I've seen some of the stuff he did towards the end of his life - the Mel Gibson version of Hamlet, Gosford Park - but I wasn't watching those keeping an eye out for him at that time. Basically I need to see the stuff he did in the 60s and 70s - Georgy Girl, Zorba the Greek, Far From the Madding Crowd (in the upcoming new version of the latter  Matthias Schoenaerts is playing the same role that Alan played) -  when he was in his prime. And boy was he prime. Hit the jump for some examples of that prime.















You can see a couple more pictures of Alan that I posted before right here. Also, a question: this link has what they say is a naked picture of Alan taken by his secret boyfriend, but I don't think it's Alan in the picture. What do you think?
.

8 comments:

Deets said...

Love Alan Bates. (Don't think that nude is of him at all.) Recently rewatched Far From the Madding Crowd and you have to totally root for him. I would consider Matthias S. to be a worthy successor but it is a travesty that Carey Mulligan was chosen for the Julie Christie role. Who is going to obsess over Carey Mulligan? And don't even get me started on her Daisy in The Great Gatsby.

Deivith Coast said...

Isn't it a coincidence? Yesterday I was falling in love with him while watching An Unmarried Woman!I'm fascinated with Women in Love, movie and book, and I loved him in Tommy too (but I only notice he's there when he isn't sharing shot with Ann Margret, God, that woman is awesome!).

By the way, I am really obsessed over Carey Mulligan!That girl is such a powerful actress, and a great Daisy! It's going to be hard making us forget Julie Christie, though (this post has been not only delicious to look at, but a wonderful excuse to name some amazing actors and movies!

joel65913 said...

One of my all time favorite actors and he really was quite dishy in his youth. Hard to believe it took Julie Christie so long to really see him in Madding Crowd. You should try and seek out The Running Man, not the Schwarzenegger one but the 1963 film of the same name directed by Carol Reed, both he and Lee Remick are ravishing in it.

Most of his early films are heavy duty drama, that's not bad just not much lightness in his filmography, and he's wonderful in most everything the fact that he was so ruggedly handsome is icing on the cake. Of his early films besides the ones I mentioned Whistle Down the Wind, King of Hearts, Georgy Girl and The Fixer are excellent.

A later film in which he's brilliant is Return of the Soldier, not only is he reunited with Julie Christie but the cast also contains Glenda Jackson and Ann-Margret!!

Just one more thing, he wasn't in Tommy. That was his wrestling partner Oliver Reed.

Unknown said...

He's my MVP for Women in Love, though most people seem to go bananas for Glenda Jackson. The "fig" monologue is stupendous. As is the mirrored conversation with Oliver Reed.

Griff said...

That model is Tom Woodson (http://www.modelmayhem.com/109833)
A simply Google Image Search would have shown that fact. We have plenty of real Naked Alan Bates to drool over, kinda sad they have to make it up...

Anonymous said...

He's gorgeous in Georgy Girl. Lots of wild, sexy, hairy chest moments in that movie.

Anonymous said...

Butley is a terrible movie but a good play. They made almost no effort to make it cinematic at all but Bates is excellent so I enjoyed it. He plays a bisexual for bonus points.

We Think the World of You features an older, but still loveable,, Bates in a three-way love story with Gary Oldman and a dog. Strange little movie.

Whistle Down the Wind, King of Hearts, and Georgy Girl are all essential prime Bates.

Jason Adams said...

You guys are kicking my ass with awesomeness in here, thank you all so much for all of these recommendations! I love you all