Wednesday, December 04, 2013

The To Do List in 250 Words or Less

.
What is it with working summer jobs at the local pool at the movies this year? This is the third movie, after The Lifeguard and The Way Way Back, that I've seen in the past twelve months that centered on it. This is the best one of the three (TWWB was abysmal but I liked The Lifeguard alright) but then what do I know, I never worked at the local pool. This one's riffs on Caddyshack's floating poo though so it wins by default, because that is all local pools remind me of. Poo. Anyway I don't know if you have to have been in high school in the early 90s to fully appreciate The To Do List but it was eerie, how right it got the period details and wrung humor from them. The videotape stuck in the VCR! (Beaches, no less.) The Laura Ashley like jumpers! Scrunchie humor! Oh and the lyrics to Andy Samberg's mope-rock song were astonishing. Astonishing. Yeah the humor's crude as hell but I appreciated how intent the film was on side-stepping high school girl movie cliches - Aubrey Plaza fucks like the boys, and she's not punished, and everybody rolls. (Well okay her dad's a little freaked out, but it's fun to watch Clark Gregg freaked out, so that's cool.)
.

No comments: