Friday, December 13, 2013

The Despicable & The Dead

.
I tend to pride myself on never not finishing a movie I've started. No matter how shitty, I will plow through to the end. I've sat through all of the Transformers films, for god's sake! You just do a shot and manage yourself, ya know? But twice within the past couple weeks, I have had to give up. I have been defeated! I just feel like I have so much to watch now, and am always so behind - it's just not worth it. 

The two movies were RIPD last week, and then last night I only made it about forty minutes into Despicable Me 2 before finally tossing my hands in the air. As for the former, I was actually kind of dumbfounded by its ability to steal literally every single element of itself from somewhere else and then make it its "own" by rendering it about fifty thousand times blander, or uglier, or dumber. RIPD is an impossibly awful thing, you guys! Impossibly! No one who had anything to do with it should ever work again; they obviously just have no idea what they are doing in the slightest! 

Despicable Me 2 is similar - it's just this endless braying thing. I kept staring at the frames, which were apparently crafted by people who weren't blind, and wondering why they made everything so goddamned ugly all of the time. Everything was so cluttered - half the time you're just staring at the background crap because there's no focus at all as to what you're supposed to be looking at. It was mentally exhausting.

Have y'all had to turn anything off recently 
because of the sheer awfulness of it?
.

5 comments:

Jon said...

I will definitely pull the plug on a film that I can no longer bear. For me, it's always the 50 minute mark. I've turned off "Despicable Me", "Transformers" and even "Napoleon Dynamite" all at 50 minutes. The only film I've ever walked out on in the theater was "Rachel Getting Married"; it was so pretentious and so irksome I could not take it anymore.

Film Excess Movie Review Blog said...

My pride in always finishing a movie is bigger, apparently.
Just in the last month, I finished watching the totally awful monster movie Spike AND Robocop: Crash and Burn, similarly devoid of talent.
God, those were bad movies.
More Michael Jordan please

Audrey said...

I got "I Give It A Year" from Redbox because AV Club gave it a positive review. About 12 minutes in there was already a series of hackneyed quips and painfully unfunnny one-liners I said "nope" and I paid for the damn thing!
Also tried to watch "Crystal Fairy" and turned it off because I was certain it was "not a movie."

Unknown said...

Internship

yourtherhoda said...

Happy-Go-Lucky. Had to leave to theatre. It wanted sooo badly to be likable I had to hate it. More recently did anybody watch Jack the Giant Slayer? I couldn't.
Life is getting too short to spend it watching shit.