Monday, September 30, 2013

I Am Link

.
--- Dragon Forward - British actor Joel Fry, seen there to the left, has joined the cast of the next season of A Game of Thrones in the important role of Loraq, who's someone that Daenerys will be dealing with a bunch in the next big city she comes upon. They're speeding up Dany's story a lot then, because he doesn't show up until the fifth book, while this season's supposed to be primarily based off the second half of the third. Also Kit Harington says the next season's a bloodbath!

--- Under Studies - All hail the Supporting Actress Smackdown, StinkyLulu's glorious tribute to actressing at the edges through the lens of the Academy Awards - it returned via The Film Experience last month and today comes the second chapter, taking on the lovely ladies nominated in the year 1980. I've only seen two of the performances discussed, and it's probably not hard to guess which two.

--- Good Chap - I guess Hugh Jackman liked what he saw when he saw Sharlto Copley in nothing but short shorts in Elysium, just like we all did, because he's just joined Copley's next flick with director Neil Blomkamp, the robot gangster flick called Chappie.
.
--- The Red Dress - I'm not sure what led me to stumbling upon this 2010 piece on Ellen Burtyn's performance in Requiem For a Dream by Matt Mazur at PopMatters this weekend, or how I'd missed it back when it was posted originally, but man am I glad I caught up with it, it's one of the finest pieces on Burstyn's astonishing work that I've read.

--- All Over Amnesiac - NME chatted with Stanley Donwood, the man behind the art of Radiohead, about how he came up with all of their album covers. He's done all of them save their first record. I can't even tell you how many hours of my life I've spent staring into the sharp horrible mountains on the cover of Kid A.

--- Bad Brother - If Marvel was going to make a movie with Loki as the central character, Tom Hiddleston would like it to focus on Loki's troubled romance with the character called The Enchantress. If that means we get Tom out of his big rubber suit a little bit, I'm down.

--- Blonde & Blonder - It's probably just a one-scene cameo but I love this, it's the only thing that's made me curious about seeing the movie - Jennifer Lawrence is going to play a flash-backed young version of the character that Kathleen Turner's playing in the Dumb and Dumber sequel. I didn't even know Kathleen Turner was in it - that's enough on its own to grab me! I do really like the original D&D though, I still quote it all the time.
.

2 comments:

das buut said...

You'd think after last time, Hugh would know better than to star in stupid movies with big robots.

As for Tom's wish, no! I'm quite fond of the big gay Loki from mythology. No more stupid het characters in the marvel verse.

SeangSTM said...

It will be interesting to see how Season 4 and 5 of Game of Thrones is handled, considering A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons run concurrently. I imagine it will start to structurally diverge very significantly. I can't imagine that they'll not show Daenerys for an entire season...

About halfway through A Feast for Crows and I cannot wait to see Diana Rigg shine in some delicious scenes.