Thursday, August 01, 2013

The World's End in 200 Words or Less

.
Goosebumps, or as the Brits call it "Gooseflesh" - I've got it in spades after The World's End, Edgar Wright's third and final chapter in his Pegg-Frost buddy-comedy trilogy, totally lived up to my outsized, outlandishly so, expectations. TWE is a delight, through and through - I've been to many a critic's screening and I have never heard an audience of critics lapping something up as boisterously as they did last night, so I think a consensus might follow suit. Wright's comic chops are in full evidence but the surprise treat is the action go-get-em he picked up from Scott Pilgrim - the fight scenes in The World's End are blazing. Frantic, funny, with total follow-through - I haven't seen action sequences this amusingly inspired since, well, Scott Pilgrim. The flick borrows the gaming format as well - instead of ex-lovers its hilariously assimilated pubs we're counting, stage to stage, but like with Pilgrim its character that's fore-fronted, and I'll be gosh-darned if a lil' tear didn't well up in my eye during the final reel. A most tasty treat I cannot wait to down again and again - just go ahead and make this a Cornetto Quadrilogy, please.
.

No comments: