Friday, June 14, 2013

I Am Link

.
--- Ball Play - Today is the 25th anniversary of Bull Durham, a movie I watched tons of when I was a kid because it made my father believe I wanted to watch a movie about baseball while the truth was all I really wanted to do was look at Tim Robbins half-naked, and over at The Film Experience Tim wrote up a really fine piece on how the film's cemented its status as a modern classic.

--- Get Bad - EW has an interview up with the creator of Breaking Bad on the final run of eight episodes starting next month - there's nothing spoilery really, which shouldn't be a surprise, I think they'll be keeping a pretty tight lid on it. Anyway I'm so glad I caught up with the show a few months ago; now I'm foaming at the mouth with the rest of you.

--- Ruff Scruff - I haven't watched the second trailer for Neil Blomkamp's Elysium yet but I hope it impresses me more than the first one, which I wasn't nuts about. I loved seeing Sharlto Copley all bushily bearded up and super sinister, but otherwise it had me a little bit yawny.

--- Weapon Of Choice - The quite-agreeable-to-look-at Idris Elba is in talks to join Gunman, which already stars Sean Penn (blurgh) and Javier Bardem (hot damn!). It'll be directed by the guy who made District B13 and Taken; Penn is the lead (blurgh), an "international operative" who betrays his organization and goes on the run across Europe. Idris and Javier play lovers who stop all of the action in order to have a fifteen minute sex scene. (Says me.)

--- Listen Closer - I messed up my viewing of Berberian Sound Studio with a bad copy, so I really ought to give it another look-see - it's out this weekend, and here's a piece from the NYT last week on its tremendous sound design. (In a just world it'd get an Oscar nod.)

--- Mac Attack - If you donated to the Veronica Mars movie like I did then you've been receiving emails every night this past week letting us in on someone who's been cast - well I let out a yelp when I got the one saying Tina Majorino aka Mac is on-board. Hooray! Plus what Rob Thomas wrote about his friendship with her was really lovely.
.
--- Armie Out - Liam Hemsworth is no Armie Hammer, but he's it's not like he's a pile of garbage either so he'll do - he's just replaced the too-busy Hammer in something called Cut Bank, about a mechanic whose decision to leave town "sets in motion a deadly sequence of events." It co-stars Billy Bob Thornton and Bruce Dern, plus it also has Teresa Plamer! We love her.

--- Music To My Ears - That movie I told you about the other day that has Lucas Till and Josh Duhamel playing Army types in it? Well it sounds like its about people using music for therapy - the synopsis is strangely vague, but the movie's called Strings so two plus two, ya know. Anyway most importantly Laura Dern just joined the cast. Hells yeah.

--- And finally have you guys heard about this documentary Call Me Kuchu? It's about David Kato, the first openly gay man in Uganda who was murdered right as his country was trying to pass that bill that made homosexuality punishable by death. It's opening here in NYC this weekend and fanning out after that. It's supposed to be, and no doubt is, some powerful stuff. Here's the trailer:
.

.

2 comments:

The Bloody Munchkin said...

Re: "well I let out a yelp when I got the one saying Tina Majorino aka Mac is on-board."

God, me too! I was happy enough with Francis Capra joined on board but when Tina Majorino's casting was official, I finally let the goose flesh take over and I may have done a happy dance. I. Can. Not. Wait!

iggy said...

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/1tc4q

That was one of the moments in Bull Durham that had me pausing it all the time to check if I could see something... Good times