Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Quote of the Day

.
There's a new interview with Bryan Fuller on Hannibal over at Buzzfeed that y'all should check out - it's all about the role of violence on the show, and in the television landscape right now, and it's all very good. I think the most interesting portion is when Bryan's asked about the Salt Lake City station that recently pulled the show off the air:

"Somebody sent me an email with the subject line “badge of honor.” It turns out we weren’t the only ones that particular network had dropped for content: They had dropped The New Normal for homosexual content, which I find more offensive than dropping for graphic content. With graphic content, there’s an argument to be made about graphic imagery. I think that’s a human rights issue. 

And I’m a person who’s been reading Fangoria magazine since I was 8. I always looked at it as opera. People who have passion for horror stories, their appreciation/my appreciation is looking it as opera. The stakes are huge, they’re literally life and death. And instead of consumption killing off the young lovers, you have Hannibal Lecter or Freddy Krueger or Michael Myers or Jason Voorhees. There’s a heightened quality to seeing a story where survival is at its core. Horror films have always been quite operatic for me. I always sort of scratch my head at people’s offense to them? If you don’t get them, and you don’t like them, then don’t watch them. But if it’s about controlling what other people see based on your perception of that form of art, then that’s a different issue."
.

No comments: