Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Cate Recruits Todd To Get Carol Off The Ground

.
When I was wishing Cate Blanchett a happy birthday the other day I noticed anew this project on her IMDb page and almost brought it up again, but I've brought it up so many times that it just depresses me, so I didn't. I speak of the adaptation of Patricia Highsmith's wonderful book The Price of Salt (oh god that new cover is awful), about the fraught psycho-sexual relationship between an older woman and a sales girl. It was 2006 when I first posted about it. That was when I read the book. I immediately pictured Cate Blanchett in the role of the older woman, because she couldn't be more perfect. Then later she became attached to an adaptation, and I knew I was awesome, one more time. (I figured Natalie Portman for the younger character, at the time, but she's too old now.) Anyway then just just about one year ago exactly (May 18th of last year) we heard that Cate and Mia Wasikowska were making the movie, set to be titled Carol after the older woman, with John Crowley, director of Boy A. I was very excited about this. And then another year passed, and nothing. 

Until now! Apparently Crowley dropped out because good god nobody can get this thing off the ground and people do have to move on with their lives eventually, but somebody - no offense to Mr. Crowley - ten thousand times more exciting has picked it up. Todd Haynes is going to direct it

TODD HAYNES. He hasn't made a proper movie since I'm Not There (and some might not consider that a proper movie) - he did make Mildred Pierce for HBO of course, and he did direct a magnificent episode of Enlightened. (Sigh, Enlightened.) But just thinking about what he will make of this really delicious material... I am covered head to toe in goosebumps. So many goosebumps they hurt! They're literally killing me! I am dead, poisoned by goosebumps, thanks to this news. Write that on my tombstone.
.

3 comments:

Tom M said...

I think I may need to lie down. Too perfect.

Anonymous said...

This makes me so effing happy!

Anonymous said...

I can't stop screaming. This is absolutely perfect. Say, when did you first hear about Cate being attached to this if it wasn't last year?