Thursday, January 24, 2013

Quote of the Day

.
Today's all about me and my conflicted feelings! I need to go stare at pictures of Ryan Kwanten's nipples and feel unequivocally happy about something right after this. But until then, let's speak of the Carrie remake. Most prominent amongst my conflicted world feelings. (Well that and our President's embrace of drone strikes, anyway.) There's a new interview with the remake's director Kimberly Pierce (she made the terrific Boys Don't Cry, of course) at The Advocate, and the whole things well worth your time, especially if you want to be all confused like me about how to feel towards the Carrie remake. See, I really like Pierce, and she seems full aware of the pitfalls of what she's doing, and she loves the material and respects DePalma's version and yadda yadda yadda she still cast that person in the lead therefore eradicating so much possible goodwill... ahem. Anyway go read the interview. This part made me laugh loudly:

Peirce isn’t remaking De Palma’s film, she’s gone back to the book for her inspiration. So, without De Palma’s male gaze, can we expect fewer bouncy locker room scenes in slo-mo?

 “Knowing me, you might not be able to,” Peirce says, chuckling. “I certainly like my share of bouncy locker room scenes, as a woman who appreciates women."
,

1 comment:

homeslaughter said...

OK, I'm in. I'll try to look past she-who-shall-not-be-named