Tuesday, October 02, 2012

All My Blondes

.
As you may or may not know the New York Film Festival is happening right now (New York, thinking itself the universe's center, likes to believe that of course you know, but I know better... I am the actual center, duh). I am seeing seven movies total. I have seen three of them so far. I even reviewed one! (That would be Barry Levinson's terrific little horror flick The Bay, right here.) 

The other two films that I've seen so far are Noah Baumbach's Frances Ha (which I fully intend to review once I get around to it) starring Greta Gerwig and Mickey Sumner...

... and the documentary Liv & Ingmar about the stormy Scandinavian relationship between the actress Ullman and the director Bergman. I'm not going to review L&I because I don't really have much to say about it. I was fascinated because these are two of my favorite artists but I wasn't especially nuts about the film itself. Subject, yes. Execution... shrug. (And I found the score downright grating.) Still, it afforded me the opportunity to be in a room with one of my favorite actresses of ever, and she was every ounce the intelligent articulate humble woman I'd hoped. That we could all age so gracefully. 


She talks with her hands a lot. 90% of the pictures I took had their blur waving back or forth in front of her face. But she was so moving, both in person and in the film - pretty much what you'd expect from someone whose open face has been an invitation to some of the deepest ruminations to ever come out of an entire art-form. She was his Stradivarius.
.

No comments: