Friday, July 27, 2012

I Am Link

.
--- Fluffy Little - I meant to link to this yesterday and I'm sure y'all have seen this by now but the six plus minute trailer for Cloud Atlas, the adaptation of David Mitchell's much loved book from the Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer, popped up the other night. Check it out at Apple. And here's a gallery of pictures. I was excited for this because I generally like the Wachowskis (even though their movies are hugely hit or miss, they're always visually interesting, plus I adore their politics) and I loooove (it needs four "o"'s for sure) Tykwer, but then I tried to read the book and was so bored by the first fifty pages I set it down and haven't picked it back up, so my enthusiasms waned. But now this footage has me excited again. Not just the look, but the emotion - it feels appropriately grand. I might try picking up the book again.

--- Mortal Queer - Speaking of books and the movies made from them, Kevin Zegers will be playing a total homosexual in The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, an adaptation of yet another young adult series. Anybody familiar with it? Zegers isn;'t the lead; that'd be the excessively eyebrowed Lily Collins. It's about a girl who finds out she's a demon huntress... it sounds pretty Buffy, honestly. Anyway since this is YA I doubt that Zegers will be going full gay. He'll just be like Gossip Girl gay or whatever. Boring.

--- Kill Show - You know how a lot of people (maybe you were one of them!) hollered about The Hunger Games being a watered-down rip-off of Battle Royale? Well you ain't seen nothing yet - the CW Network is maybe going to make a Battle Royale TV series! Excuse me, I have to go and vomit now.

--- Wave Rider - I watched the trailer for the surfing drama Chasing Mavericks just in hopes of seeing some shirtless and or wet-suited Gerard Butler and it definitely does not deliver on that front but if you watch it with the sound off (I mean, why would you want to hear it anyway?) it seems really really gay and pervy with lots of lingering stares between him and the twink.

--- Prepare Yourself for more glorious glaring Stowe-isms - Revenge is back for its second season on September 30th.

--- Royal and Co - Nat's write-up for his favorite shot in The Royal Tenenbaums for the latest entry in his "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" series is a love letter to Margot and therefore a love letter to my brain. It really is one of my favorite things he's written though. Good job, Nat! You should also check out what Joe wrote at Low Res, because also great. Good job, Joe! This movie inspires greatness in us all, s'my point. Good job, Wes Anderson!

--- Whipped - I guess it was appropriate that I used a scene from an Indiana Jones movie for yesterday's Ways Not To Die since yesterday was the day that Indiana Jones officially died.

--- Le Freak - The director Ben Wheatley, who made the very fine horror slash assassin film Kill List, is going to make something called Freakshift next, which sounds like Men In Black with monsters instead of aliens. I like the title. The word "freak" doesn't get enough play.
---  Count Your Blessing - Final Girl has been posting a lot the past week, which equals happiness. Stacie posted the next month's Film Club pick - Deadly Blessing, which I have never seen and sounds like something I need to see (Sharon Stone!) - as well as giving us a bunch of her awesome sketches. Slasherpede will not be ignored!

7 comments:

Will H said...

Love that Cloud Atlas trailer. Did you watch the intro the three directors did? Two things I love about it: Lana Wachowski as our collective wacky aunt and the realization that Tom Tykwer is a fox.

Jason Adams said...

I haven't seen that I'll seek it out but yes, Tom Tyker is totally a fox! I got to see him talk after a screening of his last movie 3 here in NYC last year and I completely swooned.

Anonymous said...

The Mortal Instruments books are hugely derivative and apparently outright plagiarism in places. It's one of those fanfiction-turned-published-works (Harry Potter in this case) that makes me cringe for the next couple years in cinema the way remakes and sequels never have. I read the first one and it was boring and poorly written, the girl did absolutely nothing but whine and watch the action and hate on anyone not in love with her love interest, and the gay characters are pretty much just included to "please" the potential fans. So... yeah I'm not looking forward to them.

Anonymous said...

The Cloud Atlas trailer... wow, six minutes have never gone by so fast. The music, the cast, the visuals, I'm sold!

jeffx said...

Read Cloud Atlas. Stay with it. Mitchell is weird and interesting and complicated.

Drew F said...

Agreed that the Mortal Instruments are very poorly written, that the main character is extremely whiny and flat and even that the gay character, Alec, comes off as rather gimmicky. But I have to say the story is not entirely uninteresting. It probably has a lot to do with the super attractive main love interest (who is so so pretty we hear about it unendingly) running around kicking ass and not wearing shirts, but I somehow made it through all 5 of the published books (yea, there are more coming) without dying yet. Im also a bit of a sucker for anything involving angels. Anyway, the characters even get fleshed out (I mean, a very, very little bit) in subsequent books, but its certainly the sort of thing you just turn your brain off and consume.

Vax Salabeer said...

Yes, Battle Royale... but with ridiculous characters called Pinny Greevenleave and Faxrim Cattleran who live in places called Tanderjan and Pelsmol.