Thursday, April 14, 2011

Happy 70, Julie Christie

.

Julie Christie's been on my mind a lot these past couple of weeks. Since I'm gonna be in Venice next month I've been thinking I need to rewatch Don't Look Now, if only to map out the exact places where she and Donald Sutherland cavort (no not the sexy cavorting, we don't like their sexy cavorting) with that killer dwarf. And I watched about half of Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet over the weekend, which I hadn't seen in years and years, and I'd completely forgotten she played Gertrude in it. I passed out before getting to her juicier scenes (movie's long, yo) but it was, as it is always, lovely to gaze upon her. 

What are your favorite Christie performances? There are lots and lots that I've missed, but here are my five six of my favorites:

Lara, Doctor Zhivago
"Wouldn't it have been lovely if we'd met before?"
Diana Scott, Darling (prev. post)
"Everything would be different, wouldn't it, quite different, with three sexes."
Laura Baxter, Don't Look Now
"This one who's blind. She's the one that can see."

Fiona Anderson, Away From Her
"I think I may be beginning to disappear."
Constance Miller, McCabe & Mrs. Miller
"Look, Mr. McCabe, I'm a whore!"
Jackie Shawn, Shampoo
"C'mon, who's the greatest cocksucker in the whole world?"
.

3 comments:

Ivan said...

Julie in the backless dress in Shampoo...Mmmmm....

John said...

She's my cock sucking idol.

MrJeffery said...

love her in 'shampoo.' love that dress too.