Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Square in 200 Words or Less

.
Crackerjack! This Aussie thriller from a couple of years ago got some play here in the US and I meant to see it but didn't, til now, which is a shame. Not that I've seen it at last - it's outstanding - just that it took me so long to do so, and that I missed it on a big screen where I think it would play marvelously.

In the wake of the excellent Animal Kingdom I have to say that's what it reminded me of, not least of all because it co-stars that film's crush-worthy Joel Edgerton (he also co-wrote the script, and his brother directed the film), but also because of the small town seedy criminal element. Mix that up with a whole bunch of Fargo - the music is, oh let's call it "homage" - and Blood Simple and some A Simple Plan too. You know the deal, inexperienced folks try to pull a con and get in way over their heads and everything goes as wrong as wrong can be. But it's pulled off with magnificent panache here. The tension cuts. A must see.
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We just rented this last night! Check out their short film "Spider" in the DVD bonus features. Those Edgerton boys have a real gift for things that go wrong, wronger, wrongest.

Jason Adams said...

Ooh thanks I didn't know that was there, I'll watch it tonight.

Glenn Dunks said...

Same production company as Animal Kingdom btw. Blue Tongue Films, they're a talented crew.