Friday, June 18, 2010

Clownhouse in 250 Words or Less

.

I don't really know how to review Clownhouse. This is the 1989 movie that sent its director Victor Salva to prison for molesting it's 12 year old star, Nathan Forrest Winters. Salva would eventually be released and go on to make Powder and the Jeepers Creepers films, all tortured paeans to nubile-boy-flesh themselves. In Clownhouse we spend a lot of time with our trio of young male leads - including a 20 year old Sam Rockwell as the oldest brother, bearing the lowest brunt of objectification since he's so terribly old at 20 - hanging out in their underpants and talking about pissing the bed and masturbating.


If I hadn't known Salva's record I could've maybe had an easier time with these scenes but since I was aware too much was tainted. And it feels a little hypocritical of me since I so often praise Roman Polanski's movies, but I guess it's a little easier to compartmentalize there since the girl he molested isn't starring in his films.

When I could here and there divorce all of this outside information from my experience of watching the movie there were things to appreciate. Some cleverly plotted sequences and creepy scenes, all of which should come as no surprise to anyone who's seen any of the Jeepers Creepers films, both of which are underrated (and at least keep the teen flesh post-pubescent). But mostly with Clownhouse I was just too creeped out for all the wrong reasons.
..

4 comments:

shaun said...

Had the good fortune of having seen this before I knew about his transgressions...it helped...though, I re-viewed a few years ago, having learned in the interim of what had gone on behind the scenes....yeah, it added a creep factor of the entirely wrong variety...

Anonymous said...

Salva did his time and paid his debt to society as our justice system demands. A 12 year old boy is big enough to say NO, but he chose not to and now is crying about it. Boo fuckin hoo.

jamayne said...

Boo Fuckin what? and what if he fucked your boo or kid when they are 6 7 or 8. You probably like fuckin kids too!!

Anonymous said...

"Boo fucking hoo" what the hell is wrong with you? Even if he did serve his time hes still a dirty predator that ruined that poor boys life. I wouldnt be surprised if you like children to you sicko.