Monday, August 31, 2009

I Am Link

.
--- Oh No - So Dario Argento's new film Giallo starring Adrien Brody screened at Fantastic Fest over the weekend and word is... abysmal. Like, epically so. It actually sounds as if it might be one to watch to laugh at, the reviews are so bad. Here's how the review at Twitch begins:

"Dario Argento’s latest has been one of the biggest surprises of the festival. Surprising in that it’s absolutely hilarious, and by that I don’t mean a little bit funny, I mean as funny a film I’ve seen at the cinema in ages, comedies included."

And it goes downhill from there. You can also read a pan at AICN and a pan at Slash/Film if you so desire. Pans pans everywhere! What a shame.

--- Also at that link to Slash/Film is a much more positive look at Michael Dougherty's super-duper-long delayed Trick'r'Treat, plus several other films which also screened at the festival.

--- Buzz Off - Michel Gondry's The Green Hornet starring Seth Rogen has just had its release date shifted from next Summer to next Winter. Since it hasn't even begun shooting yet - and they just found their Kato - I suppose that makes sense. Seth Rogen explains it here.

--- And speaking of release dates, Terry Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus has officially slid into the Christmas spot of the calendar. Mkay.

--- Dats A Spicy Meatball - AICN has a nice chat with Anna Faris up about her animated film Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs where she talks a bit about the projects she's trying to get off the ground next and the difficulty the suits are giving her about female-driven comedies. She doesn't get terribly specific or name names or anything but you can sense her frustration. Come on, Hollywood! Jesus, this woman's a gift and you are wasting her!

--- H3D - Even though it got pretty solidly trounced by FD4 this weekend the Weinsteins are already moving ahead with a third Halloween film, this time to be filmed in 3D. Choice bit:

"Weinstein said Rob Zombie, who directed "Halloween II" and 2007's reboot of the 31-year-old horror series, won't return for "Halloween 3-D." He said the studio is in negotiations with a new director, whom he declined to name, who has experience in horror and has a "different take" on the franchise."

--- Half Of Nine - Over at Low Resolution Joe's looking back at the year that has been so far and thankfully reminds me what a hoot I found so much of The Brothers Bloom to be, especially Rachel Weisz's hysterically funny and adorable performance. I was thinking about the film over the weekend though because I saw a dude wearing glasses like the ones I worshipped on Mark Ruffalo in the movie and cried inside anew that I do not own them.

--- A to QT - I praise the makers of this terrific list of other movies that are referenced in Quentin Tarantino's Ingourious Basterds. This'll come in handy when I go see the movie again and then finally write something on it. Yeah, I haven't done that yet. Whoopsie!

--- Bottom Feeders - Remember how, when I posted the trailer for The Descent: Part 2 last week, I said that the word that I've heard on the film had been positive so far? Well I watched the trailer after I said that and I have to sort of admit I was underwhelmed by it. And then today I see this bit from Twitch and my heart aches:

"The first Descent is a truly great piece of film, one of the best horror pictures of the past decade. The sequel? I’ve seen it and it aint. And not just because it’s thoroughly unnecessary but also because it’s hugely repetitive, filled with bad actors and devoid of original ideas."

Jinkies.

--- Did I Know This? - That Nimrod Antal had been hired to direct Predators, that is? He's the fellow who directed the very good Kontroll and the not-terrible film Vacancy. Anyway this, the third Predator film, is set to start shooting in Hawaii in October.

--- Creepy Old Man Alert - Slash has got a bunch of pictures from Harmony Korine's next film, lovingly titled Trash Humpers, and I gotta agree with their call of "John Waters-esque." Here are a couple:

.

No comments: