Monday, June 01, 2009

This... This I Don't Know About

.
Oh dear. Here I was all excited about Paul Verhoeven's return to American film-making and now this news comes (via THR) and I don't really know how I feel about it.

"Halle Berry is in talks to star in "The Surrogate" for 20th Century Fox.

The move follows Paul Verhoeven's boarding to develop and direct the thriller, which Ralph Winter is producing along with Deborah Giarratana, Robin Guthrie and Susana Zepeda.

Based on the 2004 book by Kathryn Mackel, the story centers on a couple desperate to have a child who find themselves in an unbearable position when they find out the surrogate they hired to carry their baby is insane.

Berry is interested in the part and Fox is keen to have her do it, though official dealmaking has yet to begin.

Berry would play the wife who wants to have the child."

I can't really think of the last time I liked Halle Berry in something. Oh right - that's because it has never ever happened. I'll be the first to admit that I've seen Catwoman maybe five or six times, but that's not because I like her in it. It's because I laugh at her, relentlessly, in it, and Sharon Stone is wonderful. I did appreciate the fact that she showed up to accept her Razzie for the film though. That was her high point. She was a white-bewigged turd as Storm (although she wasn't given anything to do, to be fair). I haven't seen Monster's Ball (which I need to rectify for Heath's sake).

So this... this I don't know about. I trust Verhoeven though. I'm hoping he's going for a baby-on-board version of Obsessed here and if anybody can pull a wonderfully terrible performance for the ages out of somebody it is the man who made Showgirls.
.

3 comments:

Ben said...

I'm not a fan of Halle Berry's either. She's okay in Monster's Ball, but I found the film as a whole patronising and very middle-of-the-road indeed. Heath Ledger is pretty fantastic in a small role, however.

Sam Brooks said...

It kind of disturbs me that this plotline is almost word-for-word what is happening in the local NZ soap opera Shortland Street right now.

Scary.

BBats said...

maybe Verhoeven will get Halle nude...I'm in.