Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Mr. Winslet

I caught a few minutes of American Beauty on the television the other day. I know its rep has swung over to "worthless pile of shit that didn't deserve any awards at all" or whatever but I still enjoy the film a lot. I certainly wouldn't call it the Best Picture of 1999 but it's a solid entertainment with a lot of things going for it. I think everybody gives a decent to great performance in it, and the Art Direction is lovely (okay, maybe slightly to the point of distraction).

Then I see that Revolutionary Road is out on DVD this week and Away We Go comes out on Friday and I realize I'm in the middle of a Sam Mendes moment, I guess. I know some people don't think any of Mendes' films are that good, but since he's directed so few major motion pictures - just four - I figure this is as good a time as any to ask for a consensus favorite. First, the films:

And so, now we must choose...

.

.

Any qualifiers you want to add - such as, "He blows!" -
you can feel free to do that in the comments.
.

6 comments:

Murtada said...

I love love love Revolutionary Road, it's Sam's best. And it contains the best acting of Winslet's and DiCaprio's careers. Such an honest, truthful movie portrait.

Anonymous said...

Best thing about Jarhead is Jake's happy Santa dance. For that alone, we owe Sam Mendes more than we can ever repay.

shaun said...

Is anyone ever going to succinctly explain why American Beauty's stock has dropped so much? As of now, I just don't get it...I think it's still quite the accomplishment, including a still amazing performance by A.B.

Ben said...

I love love love American Beauty. Everything about it, even the bit with the plastic bag.

The rest of Sam Mendes' films have had their moments but none have really stood out. Revolutionary Road has one of my favourite Jude Law performances but wastes Jennifer Jason Leigh. Jarhead...erm, Jake almost gets his cock out in and I liked the Kanye West song they used on the trailer? Revolutionary Road I thought was muddled but I agree with Murtada that it has some of diCaprio and Winslet's best acting.

Glenn Dunks said...

LOOOVE American Beauty and although I wouldn't rank Road to Perdition over it, I have a very big soft spot for that movie. I remember it being deemed the much lesser movie and I seem to have a thing for underdogs like that.

Didn't care for Jarhead outside of Jake and Revolutionary Road was quite problematic in certain areas. I'm anticipating Away We Go like I'm anticipating ejaculating blood whilst at a dentists office. ie; not at all. It looks like an atrocity of the highest order.

Matt Kilgore said...

yeah, i knew the overrated a.b. would continue to be overrated, but come on! revolutionary road! frickin' over the top kate and leo, so wonderful... though i can't decide what I like better the movie or the very un-like the movie trailer, the best use of nina simone since "before sunset".