Wednesday, November 12, 2008

[Insert Curse Words Here]

I realize that Paris Hilton is cheap. (And yes, that might just be the understatement to end all understatements.) And that she slaps an aura of notoriety upon a project. Whenever I wanted to remind myself that Repo: A Genetic Opera was going for balls-out-weird, I would remind myself that it co-starred her. But budget filmmakers, listen to me now: Paris Hilton is a reason to SKIP a movie (I can't find the story now, but even Darren Lynn Bousman, Repo's director, complained recently that Paris's presence was keeping people from wanting to see his movie... shoulda thought about that before, man). That, amongst many other reasons that can probably be blamed on her parents, is why she is cheap.

Which is why today's news that Hilton is amongst those finally officially cast in Todd Solondz's new flick pains me so very deeply. Via THR:

"Paris Hilton in Todd Solondz's next

Paris Hilton BFF with ... Todd Solondz?

The indie filmmaker's newest project, which willl be financed and produced by the Minnesota-based inside Werc Werk Works, has cast Allison Janney, Charlotte Rampling and Paris Hilton as part of its ensemble cast.

Paul Reubens has also been cast in the project, a dramatic comedy about family against the backdriop of a war.

The movie will take off on elements from the director's breakout "Happiness," in a project producers are describing as a "part-sequel, part-variation" on that film.

Ciaran Hinds, Shirley Henderson, Renee Taylor, Michael Lerner, Michael Kenneth Williams, Chane't Johnson, Eric Wareheim, and Chris Marquette are among the other actors that Werc Werk Works announced as joining the project."

I mean, you can see it right there. It's already starting. Nobody cares that Alison Janney - wonderful, underused and underappreciated Alison Janney - has been cast. Or Charlotte Rampling, or Paul fuckin' Reubens, or the terrific Ciaran Hinds.... no, Paris is even mentioned BEFORE TODD SOLONDZ. And the world wept.

I mean, it's not like I'd ever skip a Solondz movie. Hell, I'll be posting upon it just as often as I would've otherwise. And I'm sure Todd will use her wisely. But... I just don't like having to deal with the Paris factor. I'd rather it weren't there. Now it's just one more uphill battle for a film from a guy that's not exactly making it easy for himself in the first place, what with all the rape and pedophilia and abortion-clinic-blowing-up and retard jokes. I give this news three GAHH's and a dozen Yagottabefriggingkiddinme's.
.

4 comments:

Joe Reid said...

I take your points, all of 'em (and a bonus for Amy's Aunt Linda!), but you just know whatever character Paris will be playing, Solondz is going to just heap humiliation upon degrading humiliation upon her until she can barely stand to wake up in the morning. So there's that.

Anonymous said...

In its early days, Veronica Mars suffered through a Hilton episode, remained completely awesome, and even made fun of her in later episodes.

According to my memory, that particular episode was a little weak, but if Veronica Mars can do it, Todd Solondz can.

Jason Adams said...

We can only hope, Joe.

anonymous, you're right to call out that VM episode - I remember it well, and it wasn't a total disaster. I should just keep my faith in Solondz.

ryansumera said...

"...officially cast in Todd Solondz's new flick pains me so very deeply"

for a moment there i thought you said

Solondz's new "flick pain."

ha!