Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Michael Cera Vs The Typecasting World

Wizard has a nice big honking interview with director Edgar Wright on where his adaptation of Scott Pilgrim stands right now (which will star Cera as Pilgrim). The film will apparently condense all 7 books of the series into one film.

I've only read the first 3 books so far, but this doesn't seem blasphemous to me - it seems as if it could be condensed pretty easily without losing a lot. There's a lot of the same going on; some battles could be sped through, I think.

It's a great world, though, and Cera is perfect. Maybe... too perfect? Watching the trailer for Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist for the gazillionth time the other day I realized that that movie (which I am really looking forward to seeing; is it just me, or does that trailer just throb with "This is a classic movie you're gonna be seeing here"?) is set in a REALLY similar world to Scott Pilgrim - Cera's character is even in what appears to be a (possibly semi-shitty) indie rock band! Replace Kat Dennings as Norah with Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Ramona The Perfect Girl and amp up the cartoonish video-game-inflected violence and you've got a very, very similar thing going on.

Which... ya know, Michael Cera's got his thing going on, and I love it so far, but I hope he doesn't stick himself too firmly in a rut. He needs to do something different not too far down the road, I think. I say that with love, Michael!
.

1 comment:

Joe Reid said...

I worry about Michael Cera sometimes too. But then I remember Jake played the same character for 2-3 years straight and he came out okay on the other side. So there's hope.