Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Next For Neil

.
Yay! Neil Marshall listened to my cries for his return to horror! Mind you I haven't seen Doomsday yet - opens on Friday! - and I'm trying to keep an open mind even while the trailer in my opinion kinda sucks, but - as I argued recently - Marshall's has got the horror goods and we need somebody with his talent sticking around in the genre for awhile. STYD has got the word on his next project:

"Marshall to Helm Sacrilege for Rogue

Doomsday helmer Neil Marshall will write and direct Sacrilege, a horror film to be set in the Old West, for Rogue Features.

Marshall told Variety "it is set during the Gold Rush, a time remembered for incidents like the Donner Party. It is meant to be a pitch-black, gritty, period horror movie."

Marshall also wrote and directed Dog Soldiers and The Descent. He added that the picture will draw on themes of isolation and paranoia and such influences as John Carpenter's The Thing. "This is 'Unforgiven' by way of H.P. Lovecraft, with that grim, gritty setting and a horror element nobody has seen before," he said.

He'll begin writing immediately."

His description reminds me of 1999's massively underrated cannibalism-during-the-Civil-War film Ravenous, and if you know me you know that any reminders of Ravenous are always a very, very good thing. Period-horror isn't done often enough, in my book, and I'm psyched to see what Marshall could do with this chapter in our history. I guess this means his "dream project" called Eagle's Nest is on the back-burner for now...
.

No comments: