Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Jake's Great White Way

I am wishing so hard right now that I might go all Scanners on Tinkerbell and make her head explode (cuz fairies grant wishes, right? I don't know, just roll with it, k?). Anyway, more word on Jake doing that Farragut North show on Broadway next year, via Broadway World:

"The New York Post's Michael Riedel reports that Jake Gyllenhaal, who starred in a previously announced industry reading of Beau Willimon's political drama Farragut North, is still attached to star in the upcoming Broadway production of the piece, directed by Mike Nichols (Spamalot, The Real Thing; film: Closer, The Birdcage).

Nichols takes over directorial reins from James Lapine, who helmed the reading. Oscar-nominee Gyllenhaal (Brokeback Mountain, Donnie Darko), if confirmed to star, would play "an idealistic young press secretary who works for a Howard Dean-like presidential contender." Willimon worked on Dean's 2004 campaign. The production will open next fall, around the time of the 2008 election.

Matt Damon and George Clooney have reportedly purchased the film rights to Farragut North. With the winter opening of David Mamet's November, starring Nathan Lane and Laurie Metcalf, Broadway will apparently be the site of two star-studded presidential dramas this season. Nichols will also direct a Broadway revival of Clifford Odets' The Country Girl."

Besides getting to see Jake on stage, I'm also glad that this means he'll be in NYC for an extended period of time. It's been a long Gyllen-dry summer...
.

2 comments:

John T said...

May I make just one suggestion to Mr. Nichols-Jake has not done enough nude scenes in the past, so if he could be naked the entire play, that would be great. Believe me, Mike, the Tony Award voters would love it.

Cherita said...

Boys, boys! Jake need not be naked to turn anyone on. Just look at that face. Those eyes, those lips, that jaw...that's some sex right there. Plus, if Jake were nude, I don't think anyone would hear a damn line he spoke, or anyone else on the stage.

I can't articulate how desperately I want this to happen, even if it means I have to sell a kidney to go see it. Jake, acting, live, on a stage, in front of me? I can't let that get away.