Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Eli Speaks

According to this interview with director Eli Roth at DH, he won't really be doing press Stateside for Hostel: Part II, because:

"For Hostel and for Hostel II, people know what it is. I've talked about the film and I'm not even going to see it until like 5.00 today. It's finally like I'll see it at the lab. It's like still coming out of the developer. But truthfully, right now, the power of the movie is the mystery. We don't want spoilers getting out there. So if we just screen it for anybody - we don't want to have a press junket without showing it but we don't want to screen it for people because then all the story twists will get out...

We don't have to try to talk it up. I mean the truth of the matter is fans know what the movie is and they know that I'm directing and the people that saw Hostel and loved it are so excited... We don't have to educate people on what Hostel part 2 is. It's a continuation of the story exactly where the last one left off and the goal was to make a better, scarier film. I wanted to make a film like Road Warrior which was a sequel that I thought blew away the first one. You know, we took the best parts of the first movie and really built on that and that's what I really feel like I've been able to do with part 2."

Seems fair enough. Though it's not like the internets aren't exactly, ya know, international or anything, but I don't want to be any more spoiled for the film than I already am by the images they've released so far, so I'm good.

It's a good interview, you should check it out if you've got any interest in what Roth's got to say. He talks more about his Trailer Trash idea, and why he thinks Grindhouse flopped, about the challenge in trying to top one's self with a sequel, about critics and "pushing the envelope" in terms of violence, and about the possibility of Hostel: Part III (not good, it seems).
.

3 comments:

Glenn Dunks said...

Wouldn't the American guy have told police somewhere about all the fucked up stuff he saw? Or is that just my internal logic working?

Jason Adams said...

Well part 2 is supposed to start immediately where part 1 ended, like one frame later, so me thinks we'll see exactly what happens to that character.

Jason Adams said...

and yeah, if my tone isn't clear, i don't think it looks good for jay hernandez