Monday, July 10, 2006

My Favorite Year : Part Two

///
See My Favorite Year : An Introduction for what I'm doing and the first three movies (Fight Club, Being John Malkovich, and The Blair Witch Project).


What follows are two more of the Movies I Absolutely Cannot Live Without That Were Released In 1999. Funny enough, both of these movies are told in three sections, and both give me memory-of-MDMA shakes. Huh.

------

Run Lola Run (dir. Tom Tykwer)
Released June 18th, 1999

I love Tom Tykwer. His follow-ups to RLR - The Princess and the Warrior and the Kieslowski-intended Heaven - are both gorgeous (if somewhat flawed) films, but he's one to keep watching, especially with the looks-highly-promising Parfum coming out this Fall.

RLR
introduced him to us in a manner he's not really kept up with - he may be trying to distance himself from the hyper-kinetic style he worked with here - but it's a glorious ride, filled with astonishing visuals and interspersed with moments of real pathos that can, do break your heart.

------

Go (dir. Doug Liman)
Released April 9, 1999

I actually re-watched Go yesterday, for probably the sixth or seventh time. The three story arcs - unlike RLR, where they involve the same characters gambling with their fates across time like they're stuck in some insane videogame - are each about a set of different yet interrelated characters, all of them funny and horrifying and outlandish while being (mostly) relatable. Everything is stylized to a sort-of dirty sheen, but I never don't buy these as real people behaving completely ridiculously out of total self-interest in the most amusing ways possible.

Plus, we get Katie Holmes opining that "Gay men are so hot" and therefore explaining her entire activities of the past couple of years.

But where the hell is Sarah Polley these days? Absolutely one of my favorite actresses of the past decade, I could watch her in anything, but I haven't seen her since she tore up the screen (and the zombies) in the Dawn of the Dead remake.

------

COMING UP NEXT:
A pair of Greenleafs (one real, one fake),
a Flick,
and a rain of frogs.
///

No comments: